Monday, March 19, 2007

Power of CSS(1)

I used to create some simple web page by Macromedia's Dreamweaver. This powerful tool generates various CSS code with several simple clicks, so I never try to learn style design myself. But when I got this blog, I was desperate by the templates provided--the color, the frame width, the picture size definitions. Time to change this, also time to learn... Several days later, it looks like what you have seen now. I have adjusted every detail I didn't like... Also, some advanced skills can be learned in book "Bulletproof Web Design: Improving flexibility and protecting against worst-case scenarios with XHTML and CSS". It contains 10 cases about CSS application. I benefit a lot from the first three cases. Although I have not read though the book, but I wanna created a page using the methods it mentioned.

Combining use of Div Tags, Float, Padding and Margin, sometimes, would be an alternative to complex tables and forms that traditional web page design involved. But tables are still important elements in web pages, and some CSS on table would be useless if we overlook some pre-defined rules. Still, some seldom used tags in table do have their special features:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/tables.html